8.26.2009

Tea and Sympathy

I’ve had two occasions this week to partake in “high tea” at the same place. One was sweet and the other will be bittersweet.

I’m struggling here. I have had several ups and downs this week, more downs than ups.

I met with my Red Hat sisters at a high tea in Spokane at the “Taste and See Tea Room.” (See their website.)

(Cindy Hval writes about it here.)

Tonight, there will be 25 women, all co-workers, attending high tea to celebrate one of our own – who is losing her fight with colon cancer. She has been part of this place, a family away from home, for almost 29 years, starting when she was 29 years old. Half her life.

In the middle of all of this, I am facing more tests for a transplant and the likelihood that I will NOT be a candidate. What I am feeling and dealing with is so short of what my co-worker is going through, not even comparable. But I’m still feeling it.

I am experiencing an overwhelming sadness – for things lost, friends slipping away, time moving on and not, damn it, standing still.

Tonight we are gathering in all our finery, hats, jewels, gloves to honor and celebrate the life of our friend. We are helpless in what to say and can only say – we love you. I love you.
.

6 comments:

SconesNTea said...

I wish you all the luck! Try to have fun at the tea party and enjoy the scones!

SconesNTea said...

I wish you all the luck! Try to have fun at the tea party and enjoy the scones! They will be delicous

Jeanie said...

SconesNTea - they were! I tried to comment on your website but couldn't figure out how. thank you so much for checking out my blog. Both teas were wonderful and the "Taste and See Tea Room" is a beautiful place - should be renamed to Taste and MUST See Tea Room.

MarmiteToasty said...

(((((JeanieS))) huge hugs to you.... just let your friend know you love her.... it will be enough....

know also, that I love you....

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps..... I should come over and open proper tea rooms :) - I hope at least your tearooms have someone with a british accent serving LOL..... if not, ask them if I can have a job :)

x

Jeanie said...

((((Marmite)))) It was a very special evening and I couldn't beleive the turn out for our friend. Several of the attorneys showed up as well, and the hostesses were constantly bringing out delicate plates, saucers, and tea cups for these big brutish men. It was sweet (and funny) to watch them trying to be graceful. You and your accent were greatly missed. :)