12.01.2009

Cookies with Granddad

I was seven when I went to stay with my grandparents for the summer. It was all I had ever dreamed – I was a star! Little Jerome, Idaho had a brief paragraph in its small town weekly paper, all about ME. “Welcome little Jeanie Rice, age 7, granddaughter of Floyd and Marvel Rice, who is visiting for the summer, , , ,”

My granddad was the postmaster of Jerome, Idaho. I could send letters to him, and they'd always get to the right address even if I only put “Granddad, Jerome, Idaho” on the envelope.

Granddad and I spent the days of that summer delivering mail in the countryside. Every farmer's wife came to the mail truck to greet me and hand me cookies! We had dozens of cookies. Every day we would leave the house with carefully packed lunches so we wouldn't starve to death and every day we would wind our way through town and the rural farmland, and find our way to a little fishing hole, with an old worn dock, and we'd sit on the edge of the dock, dangling our feet in the water, and take our lunches and all our cookies and eat until we had ate every single cookie.

When we got back home and Grandmom asked what we wanted for dinner, we'd both sigh and say, oh, you know – a little fruit, a little cereal – we're just not that hungry. And grin at each other with our little secret. I'm sure she never caught on.

.

2 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

What wonderful memories........ both my grandfathers when I was a baby and one I think before I was even born...... and then both my grandmas died when I was only small, but I can just about remember them..... my grandma Clara was the only person in this world EVER to love me for being me....

Its sad in a way cos my lads also dont have grandparents..... they can remember them just though, on saying that my Tosser X's parents are still alive and live in Spain now, but they havent had nuffin to do with my son for 12 or so years so they technically dont have grandparents......

and even sadder is if our Tom marries his girlfriend and have kids, then those kids also will never have a grandad, cos the girlfriends father died a few years ago and of course Toms father my tosser X has nuffin to do with his sons...... and so the cycle continues.......

Oh to have such wonderful childhood memories such as you have....

love ya girl

x

MarmiteToasty said...

oops....... read 'both my grandfathers died when I was a baby' oh hush Ive been up since 5am this morning LOL

x